Bringing One’s family | Masjid Tsukuba

Students who wish to bring their families to Japan for a period of more than 90 days can apply for the Certificate of Eligibility for the residence status of Dependent at the Regional Immigration Bureau. With this Certificate, your family can obtain the necessary visas without difficulty.
In case of a short-stay within 90 days, the student’s family may just apply for the “Temporary” visa directly to the Japanese Consulate in the country where the student’s family resides.
Non-regular students (research students, etc.) cannot apply for rooms in the family dormitories. If these students wish to bring their families, they must first find an apartment off campus.

Necessary Documents:

  1. Application for Certificate of Eligibility (Part 1, Part 2R (Dependent)) One application per person. The names, etc. must be the ones of the family members you intend to bring to Japan.
  2. Two photos of each member of your family you intend to bring to Japan (4×3cm, without hat, without background)
  3. Statement of reason for residing with family The statement should include the reason and the period of residence with family, the present living conditions of the applicant (international student), etc.
  4. Documents to certify the relationship between your family and you (One of the documents listed below along with a Japanese translation.

Please note that two or more documents may be required, according to circumstances.)

  1. Family register certifying marital relations, parent-child relations
  2. Certificate of authority-acceptance of a written report of marriage
  3. Certificate of marriage
  4. Birth Certificate
  5. Equivalent documents besides the above
  6. The student’s passport and its copy
  7. The student’s alien registration card and its copy You must notify the City Hall in case you have changed registered matters (i.e., Your address, etc.).
  8. Certificate on registered matters for the alien registration (you must apply for it at the City Hall)
  9. The student’s Student ID card and a copy
  10. Certificate of enrolment of the student
  11. Transcript of academic records (in case of research students, a letter of recommendation letter from the academic advisor)
  12. Evidence of financial ability to cover living expenses, tuition fees and other expenses while in Japan
  • Certificate of bank balance or a copy of the bank book of the applicant’s (student’s) bank account
  • Certificate of Monbukagakusho Scholarship (In case of Monbukagakusho Scholarship students)
  • Certificate of scholarship (must include the amount and the period of the scholarship) (In case of recipients of scholarships)
  • Certificate of exemption from tuition fees (In case of students who receive an exemption from tuition fees)
  • Documents listed below in case the student receives remittance from his/her home country (along with a Japanese translation)
    •  Written oath of remittance from a lineal relative
    • Certificate of employment and tax certificate of the lineal relative
    • Certificate of bank balance of the bank account of the lineal relative
    • Evidence of remittance (Ex. a copy of remittance notification, copy of  check, copy of bank book, etc.)
    • Evidence of the relationship between the lineal relative and applicant
  • Equivalent documents besides the above
  • Copy of contract for apartment or certificate of admission into dormitory
  • Contract of part-time employment, certificate of engagement in other activity (work permit)
  • Self-addressed envelope (With the applicant(student)’s address and name written on it, stamped ¥430 for fixed size envelope, or ¥470 for unfixed-large size envelope)
  • Others (required documents in accordance with necessity)


1) Submitted documents are not returned to the applicant regardless if the application is accepted.
2) All certificates must be issued three months to submission at most.
3) All documents drawn up in a foreign language should be submitted along with a translation into Japanese.

Map links
For more info. :

1 Comment

tafida – October 31, 2012:


Add Your comments

Leave a Reply to tafida Cancel Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Name *

Your Mail *

Your Comment*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.